At Huon Bush Retreats, we are leaving our lights on during Earth Hour. Our entire operation is based on environmental protection, resource efficiency and carbon sequestration. We take responsibility for our own carbon. We store and absorb carbon, thus eliminating the need to buy carbon offsets from others.
Incorporating 139 measured inputs, we calculate that we are are 3800 tonnes per year carbon positive. This means that we take in 3800 tonnes more carbon than our entire operation releases. We have even accounted for ½ of the estimated guest release of CO2 during averaged visits to Tasmania, 129 tonnes CO2 / year. The total vegetation carbon sequestration and 99 year amortized storage is 4235 tonnes CO2 / year. The total release of carbon per year is 337 tonnes CO2 / year.
HBR has been assessed using the Green Globe Lite method through the Green TEA project. Performance was measured as:
Huon Bush Retreats employ the following initiatives to minimise our environmental foot print:
● Prevented logging and burning of 60 ha forest
● Conservation covenants protect 100 hectares of natural values in perpetuity
(+– 600 hectares covenanted in the greater reserve)
● 22 hectares of tree plantation –managed long term
● 98% of walking track length is of natural materials with minimal impact
● Environmentally sensitive cleaning products
● Recycled paper products
● All waste is separated. Compost is processed on site and used in the organic garden, recyclables are separated and put into the local council recycling scheme and composite waste goes to landfill
● All promotional travel including air travel and car hire is carbon offset
● Stand alone solar electric generation
● Insulation in ceilings, walls and floors
● Zero off property effluent grey water treatments
● Zero off property effluent composting toilets
● Hot water preheating from wood burning heater
● Green Gas (surcharge paid to gas supplier to fund carbon offsetting)
● Low pressure water supplies reduce total consumption
● Fireproof buildings allow minimal vegetation clearances
● Buildings constructed mainly from long lasting, durable, recyclable materials
Huon Bush Retreats has been environmentally responsible from plan to conception.
● Protection of the 1 square km of land occupied by Huon Bush Retreats
● Expansion of the 14 square kms of the greater Mt Misery Habitat Reserve. New properties are added from time to time.
● Demonstration that it is not only possible but highly beneficial to build a tourism resort based fundamentally on environmental protection
● Provide immersion experience for guests in environmental sustainable accommodation (they get to live the experience, solar electricity, carbon neutral heating, recycling, organic foods and composting toilets)
● Provide immersion experience for guests in appreciating the values of natural habitats along our walking track network